Free At Last is governed by a Board of Directors with diverse professional and social backgrounds. The Board of Directors establishes the agency’s policies and employs a Chief Executive Officer who is responsible for the day-to-day operations. Our Board is make up of community members and reflects the racial diversity of our community.
The board members are:
- Vicki Smothers, President and Co-Founder (Community Program Specialist, Prenatal Advantage, Black Infant Health Project, San Mateo County Health System/Family Health Services). Ms. Smothers, a longtime resident of East Palo Alto, brings extensive knowledge of community dynamics and resources to the organization’s Board table. Ms. Smothers is a co-founder of Free At Last and the East Palo Alto AIDS Task Force, and provides expertise in women’s recovery.
- Robert Hoover, Vice President (Director, The David Lewis Community Re-Entry Center)
- Janet Thomas, Secretary (Job Coach, Kainos Home and Training; Night Manager, Hope House; and Business Owner, Alpine Home)
- Jerome Walker, Treasurer (Protective Service Worker, Adult Protective Services, Human Services Agency, City and County of San Francisco)
- Jose Capistran, Member (Steel Burner, R.E. Bormann’s Steel)
- Dorsey Nunn, Member (Co-Founder of Free At Last, the Executive Director of Legal Services for Prisoners with Children (LSPC) and well known for his work towards the national ban the box campaign.)